Saturday, July 28, 2007

Once on the Playground


I took Eden to the Bleecker Street Playground this morning at 8:30 a.m. Something unusual happened. This really beautiful woman with a tall, handsome husband and gorgeous 20-month old, approached me and introduced herself. There had already been some eye contact between Eden and her son Jack, but this woman - Chrissy - made it official by telling me her name and shaking my hand. I got all nervous. She was so beautiful. I realized at that moment that in my heart of hearts I am a thirteen year-old boy with bad acne. I got all nervous, tried to play it cool with a stupid joke. Hours later, as I relate this story, I still can't believe she talked to me. Chrissy, the prettiest mom on the playground. She talked to me, Alice, the biggest dork in the world. Now I know that all good things are possible.

The image above is my brother Luke at age 12 or 13. Who would have guessed that he'd turn out to be such a fox? Maybe he will look just like this again, when he's elderly. It doesn't matter. As he made his way in the world, he looked nothing like this.

No comments: